Data Scientist – Cape Town
Payment24 offers a hardware agnostic, open platform that delivers innovative mobile, cloud & card solutions. At its core, we are a creative research & development company focusing in disrupting the payments industry by introducing simple innovative solutions in the market, in an industry which has not evolved with time. With a start-up mentality & culture, we continue to be agile & nimble footed to address gaps in the market. If you think you have the skills and agility to keep up with us, please send through your CV and be part of a fast-growing team.
You will report to the Head of Development and work closely with our software developers and business analysts across multiple projects. You will get an understanding of assigned projects: the business requirements, processes, current or proposed changes/developments, and key concerns.
- Assist in delivering strategic roadmap items on the roadmap defined by management.
- Developing, deploying, and maintaining machine learning models to assist with fraud prevention and detection in financial transactions and user registrations.
- Reporting to internal stake holders on various projects.
- Data strategy planning, documentation, and execution with other team members
- Ad-hoc data analysis and report requests from business stake holders.
- Strong communication skills.
- Effective organization and analytical skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on large and small projects, with changing priorities.
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision and manage workloads in accordance with strict timelines.
- Quantitative BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or equivalent.
- At least one year working experience in a data science role, preferably in a fintech environment.
- Experience in working with software developers is a plus.
- Good knowledge of popular MS Azure Services (S3, RDS, Lambda, Redshift, etc.)
- SQL/NoSQL Databases and Data Warehousing.
- Advanced Python programming using scikit-learn, pandas, pymsql, Apache Airflow, AWS Lambda, and more.
- Knowledge of modern AI and ML models, particularly in the fraud detection and prevention
- Domain (Clustering, SVM, Decision trees, etc.)
- Advanced MS Excel.
- Stakeholder management and communication.
- Willingness to take initiative and think out of the box.